The World Health Organization has announced the theme of the upcoming World Health Day, which is celebrated annually on April 7.
This year it will focus on diabetes problems. The Ministry of Health prepares the events confined to this day.
- The main purpose of all the events that will take place in the framework of the World Day – is to draw public attention to the actual problem. This will be an important addition to annual months of the World Diabetes Day, - the chief endocrinologist of the Ministry of Health, Director of the Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Endocrinology, Said Ibragimov, said. - Despite the fact that we cooperate actively with media throughout a year and try to let more people know about the problem we need to talk about this more and more often; flaring events are needed to attract more and more people to this problem. Because one of the main problems of fight against diabetes – is late detection; people come to specialists with severe complications. The sooner a patient asks for help and the more strictly will follow s doctor's instructions, the more and better he will live the second half of his life with diabetes. It is no accidently said that diabetes is not a sentence, but a way of life. For convenience of the population one can get a primary diagnosis in all rural health centers and family health centers; endocrinological dispensaries, endocrinologist offices in regional medical associations work in all regions to provide professional assistance. Our republican center is at people’s disposal as well.
The World Health Organization to devote World Health Day 2016 to bring the following postulates to the bigger amount of people:
- The epidemic of diabetes grows rapidly in many countries with particularly sharp growth documented in low- and middle-income countries.
- A significant proportion of cases of diabetes can be prevented. It is proved that simple measures on change of lifestyle prevent effectively or delay onset of diabetes type 2. Maintaining a healthy weight, regular exercise and healthy diet can reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Diabetes is treatable. It can be controlled and influenced to avoid complications. Expanding access to diagnostics, learning proper behavior and affordable treatment are important elements of the response measures.
- Efforts to prevent and treat diabetes will be essential for achieving the third global objective in sustainable development providing reducing for one-third of premature mortality because of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) by 2030. Many sectors of society, including government, employers, teachers, producers, civil society, private sector, media, and general public will be involved in it.
Thus it is planned to expand prevention, to strengthen health care and surveillance. As a result, awareness of the growing diabetes and its heavy burden and consequences will be increased, particularly in low- and middle-income countries. It is also planned to expand adoption of concrete and of affordable anti-diabetic measures. They will include steps for prevention and diagnosis of diabetes, treatment and care of people with diabetes. And preparing the first global report on diabetes with description of the burden and consequences of diabetes and proposal to strengthen health system will begin to improve surveillance, to strengthen prevention and to improve management of patients with diabetes.